A unique solution to roof kayak and canoe storage. This Locking Kayak and Canoe Roof Rack is a groundbreaking way for you to transport your boats on your car - it's been nominated for International Outdoor Product of the Year in Sweden! Avoid the hassle of soft straps and tie-downs - the LockRack makes it a breeze to load a kayak or canoe onto your roof thanks to its unique adjustable, locking arm system.
What is the LockRack? It's a "Hard" Roof Rack + Adjustable Arms + Lockable System
- Hard Rack: It's an aluminum-based rack system with rubber-coated arms. No more annoying, unreliable soft strap rack systems.
- Adjustable Arms: The rack's arms can be adjusted to the width you need and snapped into place with spring-loaded pins.
- Lockable System: The rack's patented theft-prevention system ensures that no one can snatch your kayak or canoe off of your roof either, giving you peace of mind should you need to leave your vehicle unattended while it's loaded up.
What kayaks or canoes does it fit? The Locking Kayak and Canoe Roof Rack's arms can be easily adjusted to a variety of width settings (up to the max widths listed below) and easily snapped into place with a spring-loaded pin design. It's strong enough for fishing rigs, too! Check out the video above for a demonstration.
Locking the LockRack: The LockRack comes with weather-proof keys that lock the rack arms into place so the arms won't move unless you want them to! This keeps your boat in the rack on your car, right where you left it.
What is the LockRack made of? The Locking Kayak and Canoe Roof Rack is made of high-quality materials and designed for use in all weather conditions.
- All weather components. High-grade anodized aluminum, brass and stainless steel components can handle all weather situations and won't rust.
- Durable, stable nylon parts: Even the nylon parts are 30% glass-filled to add super strength and stability.
- Soft rubber arms. The soft rubber arms are made from durable, UV-resister thermoplastic elastomer rubber, ensuring toughness, strength, and a gentle grip on your boat.
Will the rack fit my car? The LockRack requires your car to have an existing set of roof crossbars to which the LockRack attaches. It's designed to fit most makes and types of roof rack crossbars:
- Factory roof racks: Works on any make of roof rack with an accessory groove on the top.
- Aftermarket racks: Works with all Thule and Yakima crossbars.
- Square bar attachments: Works with square bars with a separately-sold adapter, sold here.
- 25.5" wide base with adjustable arms (up to 39.5" wide)
- Set of 2 Locking SUP Racks
- Rack arms
- Rack base
- Rack attachment sliders
Do you need any tie downs for where the arms hold the kayak? It seams like wind when driving the auto might be a concern for keeping the kayak on the racks. For our current J-rack type of rig, we do tie downs for the J part (around the roof racks, too) and the front and back of the kayak.
This locking rack should keep your kayak secure on the rooftop, so that additional tie-downs or straps shouldn't be needed - its really constructed so you don't need to use extra tie-downs. That being said, user experience with racks can vary based on their vehicle, the types of roads/conditions they travel and the size of their particular boats/gear they are transporting. So while this is a very solid rack system where you normally wouldn't expect to use additional tie-downs, you could decide you want to use some at some point. It just varies by users, so its hard to say, but the expectation is that in most cases you wouldn't need to and the kayak would feel secure and there wouldn't be that much vibration or movement even when windy.